Ghorme sabzi is known to be a very delicious and tasty stew that belongs to Persia, and it is mainly served along with a bowl of steamed basmati rice. Ghorme sabzi is considered to be the national dish of Iran, and it is packed with a lot of fiber as well as protein.
On the other hand, ghorme sabzi has also been called the king of the stew in Iran, and it is available in all restaurants. There are a lot of things in life that should be experienced originally. The old classic recipe of the ghorme sabzi basically involves the cooling process of herbs into a unique characteristic mélange.
Tracing history, we can say that ghorme sabzi dates back to about 5.000 years, and it originated in Iran only. Later, Azerbaijanis have adopted the ghorme sabzi, and it is one of their favorites as well.
There are different versions of ghorme sabzi available, and you can go for the one you desire. For example, in the southern part of Iran, ghorme sabzi is made with a huge amount of cilantro as well as tomato paste, whereas in the northern part of Iran, the same Persian stew is prepared without the leaves of fenugreek and instead rose coco beans have been replaced.
In the province of Fars, around the region of Shiraz, they add potato to the ghorme sabzi. And last but not least, in Azerbaijan, they do not fry the herbs before stewing. This is how different areas make this amazing ghorme sabzi stew. So you can now refer to the type you like and search for the respective recipe as well.
This tasty Persian stew is enjoyed in both ways for vegans as well as non-vegans. There are a lot of ingredients available online that you can take the help of and prepare ghorme sabzi anywhere on earth you are.
You can take the help of the following ingredients and prepare your vegetarian ghorme sabzi.
Herbs required for the preparation of the ghorme sabzi:
- You need parsley, cilantro, green onions, along fenugreek.
- The primary process that will make your ghorme sabzi tasty is to roast the herbs slowly, and it will result in the aroma that will wrap you. Ensure you add the fenugreek herb as it is the most important one and is used in many dishes.
- Fenugreek is called shanbalileh in the Persian language, and it is a herb that is used a lot in Indian cuisines as well, and you can easily fetch them fresh or dried and even frozen from the market.
Beans used in the preparation of the vegetarian ghorme sabzi
- Kidney beans are the main beans in the preparation of the ghorme sabzi. Using the dried beans that are soaked overnight is the best option, and you can also go for the canned beans if you desire.
- Pinto beans are also used in the ghorme sabzi, but they are less common. It is optional. You can choose to use the pinto beans or not.
Dried lime for the ghorme sabzi
Dried lime is used in stews a lot, and it can be found in markets easily. It adds a unique, exceptional taste to the ghorme sabzi, and all love it. Dried lime is being pierced, and then they are added to the ghorme sabzi stew. This process allows the lime to release its aroma and juice while simmering gently.
How to Make the Vegan Ghorme Sabzi Along with Its Ingredients?
There are certain ingredients that you need for the preparation of the ghorme sabzi.
Ingredients required are:
- Finely chopped onions. You can take two large ones. It will be enough.
- Cloves of garlic. Admit it or not, garlic is magical in all the dishes.
- Take one cup of spring onions and chop them finely.
- 2/12 cups of spinach will be a good option. Make sure you chop it nicely.
- ½ cups of chopped parsley as well as coriander.
- ¼ cup of finely chopped fenugreek, either dried, fresh or frozen.
- 5 cups of kidney beans.
- 1 tsp turmeric, along with the lime powder.
- 1 ½ vegetable stock or even water. It is optional.
- Finally, salt and pepper.
To make the saffron millet pilaf or rice, you need the following ingredients:
- 1cup of organic millet
- Saffron strands
- Vegetable stock or even water.
How to Prepare the Vegan Ghorme Sabzi?
Now that you have all the ingredients to make your vegan ghorme sabzi let us know the process of preparing this tasty Persian dish. Follow step by step and do as it is written.
- Take a large pot and place it on the gas; make sure the heat is medium. The next step will be to Sautee the onions until they are a bit translucent. Add garlic as well as turmeric, and then stir nicely.
- Spinach, spring onions, as well as herbs should be added to the pot. Take water, add on the mixture, boil the mixture for a few minutes, cover the pot, and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the mixture is simmering, use your time and prepare the saffron millet pilaf or rice in a different pot.
- Add the millet water, the saffron strands and boil on medium heat.
- As soon as you notice the greens are stewed and the vegetables are cooked nicely, you know your vegan ghorme sabzi is ready to be served.
- You can garnish the dish with coriander as well.
- Bon appetite.
With the help of the internet today, we can try and make the different cuisines of the different nations without even having to visit the nations, but what belongs to a particular country is made with utmost love and has a different taste to it.
The ghorme sabzi you make will not entirely be the same as it is served in the Iranian restaurant. This is something natural, and you can try other different recipes of the vegan ghorme sabzi available.
Do let us know which one was your favorite and how was your first impression of the vegan ghorme sabzi.